This is a Mary Mary traybake recipe that I have adapted slightly. I will put the full quantities below in case you do want to make a traybake or sandwich cake, but if not, I halve the quantities which is plenty for 12 cupcakes. As you probably know by now I LOVE cinnamon and using spices in baking and these are perfect for this time of year. Pretty much anything that I can make Autumnal, I will.
They are really light, fluffy and warming and don’t take long at all. Because of the cream cheese icing they are best eaten the day they are made or kept in the fridge for a day.
275g self raising flour
350g caster sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 level teaspoons cinnamon
2 level teaspoons ground ginger
300ml sunflower oil
275g grated carrots
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the icing
175g full fat soft cheese
50g softened butter
100g icing sugar
splash of vanilla extract
walnuts, to decorate
1) Preheat the oven to 160 Fan and line a 12 hole muffin tray.
2) Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl and mix.
3) Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then mix in the oil, carrots and vanilla extract until all the ingredients are well combined.
4) Transfer the mixture into the cupcake cases and pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until risen and when a skewer comes out clean.
5) Leave to cool and mix up the cream cheese icing while you wait.
6) When the cakes are cool, decorate however you like! We spread on the icing with a small palette knife and chopped the walnuts into small pieced to sprinkle on top. We also ordered some carrot cake toppers from Amazon.
I hope you enjoy these, I can really recommend them and you can find my other cupcake recipes here:
Spiced Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Apple Shaped Cinnamon Cupcakes (plus Amy’s Chocolatey Acorn biscuits)
Kinder Bueno Cupcakes
Strawberries & Cream Cupcakes